What is a cue sheet?
A cue sheet is a record of all the songs and compositions used in a film and television production. We need these for every locally produced program broadcast in Australia.
All music used in a production need to be supplied to us because we distribute on the public performance of the work. Regardless of how music is obtained (ie purchased/commissioned), all music needs to be identified. This also applies to royalty free music.
Include these details in your cue sheet header:
- Production Title
- Episode Title/Actors Names/Name of Event
- Production Company
- Production Number (if available)
- Country of Origin
- Series Number (if relevant)
- Episode Number (if relevant)
- Director (only applicable to Films/Documentaries)
- Year of Production
- Total Production Duration
- Date of Broadcast
Include these details about the song or composition used:
- Song Title
- Composer (if unavailable, provide performer details)
- Publisher (if available)
- Record Label (required if the work is Production Music)
- Catalogue Disc Number (required if the work is Production Music)
- Track Number (required if the work is Production Music)
- Duration used
- Work Origin – Commercial, Production Music or Specially Commissioned
- Vocal/Instrumental/Mix (if multiple versions exist)
- Usage Type – Theme, Background or Featured.
Theme refers to music that is regularly or solely associated with a television series, individual program or film, when used as the opening and/or closing theme. Theme excludes music used in conjunction with program previews (teasers) play ons/offs or recaps, which are credited as background music.
Background refers to any songs or compositions used in the broadcast that can only be heard by the audience at home – not by the characters/actors/live audience/hosts etc. This also applies to any prepackaged/prerecorded or post-production stories/items within the broadcast.
Featured refers to music which falls into one or more of the following categories:
- Music performed by one of the characters or music that is listened to by characters in a scene
- Music performed in music video clips
- Music performed in association with choreographed dance sequences
- Music performed “on camera”
Cue sheets can either be submitted by emailing a completed Excel template to [email protected], or via our Online Cue System.