Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue

Dealing directly with copyright owners

You don't have to go through APRA AMCOS to legally play music.

What's the alternative to dealing with APRA AMCOS to get a music licence?

You don't have to go through APRA AMCOS to legally play music in your business - you can deal directly with the songwriters or publishers who own the rights.

Usually it's easier to go through us because we can grant you a blanket licence to perform or play all the songs in our repertoire. But sometimes it can be easier to deal direct - for example:

  • if you want to use a particular song as music on hold or on your website
  • if you're live streaming your own show and and you are playing your own material (no covers)
  • if you organise an event where only a few songs will be performed and the songwriters have a connection with the event (for example, a charity concert)
  • if you are releasing an album or a single track and you have an agreement to pay royalties directly to the copyright owners

If you want to deal directly with one of our members, you can ask them to contact us to discuss our Licence Back or Opt Out schemes.

Obtaining an Opt Out or Licence Back is simple, but members applying for them must make sure that all parties with an interest in the song (any other writers or publishers) agree to the arrangement.

If you deal directly with the copyright owner, you may qualify for a reduction in your blanket licence fees. Contact us to discuss this.

View our information guide (PDF 1MB)