Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue

APRA alternatives

Licence Back (performing & communication rights)

If you want to deal directly with someone in Australia or New Zealand to use one or more of your songs, we can grant you a Licence Back. You will need to let us know who you’re licensing (by name or by description so we don’t try to license them as well). We will continue to license all other users on your behalf.

How do I get a Licence Back?

If you are going to license your live performance of your own music, performance in a cinema movie, or the communication (broadcast or online) of your songs, you need to give us written notice of this at least one week before the use.

For all other uses (live performances of your music by others or performances of recordings of your songs) we need two weeks’ written notice.

You also need to provide APRA AMCOS with a signed consent and indemnity from all interested parties (for example, co-writers or publishers).

If the Licence Back arrangement is complex, we may charge an administration fee (capped at $200).


Please download the relevant form, fill it out, and email it to [email protected] to submit your Licence Back Request.

Free licence for personal website

APRA AMCOS can grant members a free licence to offer their own music on their own website, for non-commercial purposes (the works are provided free). The application process is quick and easy:

More information

The Opt Out, Licence Back and Resignation information provided here relates to your performing and communication rights. For information about Opt Out, Licence Back and Resignation arrangements for your mechanical rights, you can read about managing your AMCOS rights here or contact us.