High Score: Composition and Sound Art for Games is back in 2022! The hybrid in-person and livestreamed conference will be filled with keynotes, panels, feedback sessions and more across 1-2 October as part of Melbourne International Games Week.
High Score explores the important role that music and audio play in game design and experience. Anyone who would like to learn more about game audio and composition is welcome. All skill levels welcome.
You'll learn from and connect with influential music and audio creators, developers and music and games industry pros, including:
- Three-time BAFTA award winning composer, sound designer and audio director Jeff van Dyck (EA's FIFA and NHL, the Total War franchise, Paint the Town Red, Hand of Fate II and Unpacking). In a keynote conversation, he'll speak about crafting a signature aesthetic.
- Brooklyn-based composer, sound designer and musician Josie Brechner (Best Friends Forever, EXTREME MEATPUNKS FOREVER, Freshly Frosted) will deliver a keynote, in conversation with host Angharad 'Rad' Yeo.
- Top audio and sound designers Neha Patel (Mini Maker: Make a Thing!), Rich Vreeland aka Disasterpeace (Fez, Mini Metro, Hyperlight Drifter) and Anne-Marie Weber (Thirsty Suitors).
Panels and discussions on diverse topics include:
- Victorian composer Narayana Johnson aka River Boy and developer Julian Wilton take us into their sound world for Cult of the Lamb
- The sound of Germany's global hit Revita with composer Christoph Jakob
- 'Learnings from My First Year in Game Audio' - breaking into the industry
- A&R feedback sessions - ticket buyers will be notified when EOIs open
- creative management
- taking game music to the concert stage
- ample networking time
- and so much more!
This year’s theme is “Building from the Ground Up” focusing on strengthening all parts of the Australian game audio industry; from emerging to established, grass root indies to AAA, to ensure that together we can reach out loftiest goals. Reaching the highest peaks requires solid foundations and the support from every part of the community.
With support from Creative Victoria, High Score is expanding its programming beyond the flagship conference to include a SongHubs intensive residency, two Co-Op composing workshops and the SoundCheck video interview series.
High Score is presented by APRA AMCOS, in partnership with the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria, as part of Melbourne International Games Week.