Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue

Licensing for schools

Your Department of Education, Catholic Education Office or Independent Schools Association has an agreement in place with APRA AMCOS and ARIA that covers schools for the majority of their public performance, copying and communication of music.*

We call this the Schools Music Licence. All government schools and almost all Catholic and independent schools are covered by the licence. To check if your school is covered, contact your school authority.

Read on to find out what activities are covered under the Schools Music Licence.

* APRA AMCOS musical works and ARIA sound recordings – comprising the vast majority of the world’s musical works and commercial sound recordings.

Want to know more about copyright?

Here are some great resources:

  • The Australian Copyright Council has many interesting fact sheets available on lots of different topics. Just head to
  • The National Copyright Unit’s website,, is geared towards schools and TAFEs, with helpful information about using music in an educational setting.
  • The APRA AMCOS and AMPAL Guide to music copyright for instrumental and vocal teachers (PDF 3MB) is an informative resource for all instrumental and vocal tutors working in schools or running their own studios.