Log in to your account

Overseas Performance Reports

Tip Published Wednesday 5 September 2018
Alex Lahey performs at the Aussie BBQ at SXSW in 2017

You can get paid from your performances overseas, just like you do in Australia

Make sure your works are registered so we can ensure you are being paid correctly

Submit an Overseas Performance Report as soon as you can after each gig, as different societies have different deadlines

Heading to The Great Escape or planning your own overseas musical expedition in the coming months? Whether you're showcasing or gracing a festival stage, make sure to file an Overseas Performance Report as soon as you can following the gig. Why? Because just like with shows at home, you earn live performance royalties when you perform your songs internationally.

Overseas Performance Reports are different from the Performance Reports for AU/NZ gigs because they need to be processed through our reciprocal Performing Rights Organisations around the world. So there are a few more layers and some very important nuances involved, but the rule-of-thumb is essentially the same across the different territories: submit a form with detailed information from your live performance as soon as you can after the gig takes place.

APRA AMCOS works with Performing Rights Organisations around the world to ensure our writers get paid from overseas performances

Got questions? We have answers.

Q: I am about to go overseas to play shows. Should I do anything for Overseas Performance reports ahead of time?

A: Excellent question! Yes, the #1 thing you should do to save yourself time and prevent payment delays is to make sure you (or your publisher) REGISTER YOUR WORKS. Be precise with your AKAs and encourage any co-writers to become members. It will make the submitting and payment processing much smoother. Seriously, much smoother. Ideally, your work has a unique composer identifier called an ISWC when you file your performance report. Find out more here.

Q: What kind of shows should I file a performance report for?

A: You should submit a performance report for all live performances. However, please note that not all venues are licensed and therefore a foreign society might not be able to collect royalties on your behalf. Your claim might trigger the society to look into licensing a premise, so while your payment might be delayed, it does help the cause overall.

There are some performances that do not qualify for claiming:

  • busking
  • religious service
  • private parties/functions

Q: Are any shows too small? It looks like some societies only pay for top grossing concerts.

A: Not at all! While some territories collect for the top tours, there are schemes in place for you to collect your royalties no matter the size. Submit your report, let us collect your royalties.

Q: Is there a deadline for filing my report?

A: There are, but deadlines vary. There is not a firm annual deadline for Overseas Performance Reports like there is for your domestic reports (submit by 31 July, paid in November).

Different territories and their respective organisations have different deadlines and requirements, therefore the sooner you submit your performance, the sooner we can collect on your behalf. Find out more about the process here.

For most territories, you can file reports for up to the 2.5 years prior from the performance date, however some societies have tighter and more specific deadlines including the UK, USA and Germany.

IMPORTANT information for US, UK and Germany live performance royalties:

There are three PROs in the US: ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.

REMINDER: APRA AMCOS has a reciprocal arrangement with ASCAP, so unless you advise us within 30 days of our notifying you of a first-time US earning, you will be designated to ASCAP. You can nominate BMI or SESAC, but try to do so within those 30 days or it becomes a bit more complicated. Read more here.

Society (country)Submit bySubmit to
ASCAP (USA)1 March for all performances in the previous calendar year Jan-DecAPRA AMCOS
BMI (USA)Within 8 months of performance dateAPRA AMCOS
SESAC (USA)VariesContact [email protected] with venue and setlist info
PRS (UK)Within 11 months of performance date for 'Gigs and Pubs' small venuesAPRA AMCOS
GEMA (GER)Before March 1st of the following year of your performanceAPRA AMCOS
OthersWithin 2.5 years prior from the performance dateAPRA AMCOS

Especially for societies in smaller music markets, it may take up to two years for your payment to be distributed. Refer to this distribution timetable here.

Q: Do some countries pay more than others?

A: Yes, and it is dependent on the reciprocal society’s pool of payments. Some societies pay per song, and some pay per set. Ask us if you would like to know about a specific country.

Q: I am playing Glastonbury, Lollapalooza, and Fuji Rock. Won’t the promoters be required to submit this information?

A: Generally, festivals provide this information to their country’s society. However, it would not be the first time that a band on a multi-day, jam-packed bill inadvertently gets left off of the reporting. Cover yourself – submit a report!

Q: Should I save any evidence?

A: Absolutely. Information that you need to have is:

  • Venue address
  • Capacity /number of attendees
  • Set list
  • Registered works
  • Time of day you performed
  • Venue or promoter contact

You can also save your setlists, screengrab a Facebook event listing, save a festival bill, keep the sign on your dressing room, grab a drink coaster from the pub you played. Supporting evidence is great to have.

CLASSICAL PERFORMANCES: You must, must, must get a copy of a program for the event. This is a requirement of ASCAP as well as other European societies.

Q: Should I submit cover songs if I played any?

A: Yes, it saves time in the overall claim. Please make note of the original writer in brackets next to song title in your report. You are doing the right thing and ensuring another songwriter gets paid. Karma and all that.

Q: What else do I need to know?

A: Hopefully, we have covered the key points. But, please, connect with us on email [email protected], live chat, or call us on 1800 642 634 to discuss in greater detail.