Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue


Using music in audio-visual media

Do I need a licence for synchronisation?

If you are synchronising copyright music with any visual media and sharing that audio-visual material with others - whether in person at an event or exhibition, streaming online, or providing copies or downloads - you will usually need permission from the copyright owner(s).

If you are from an educational institution, please see our Education Licensing page.

If your audio-visual media is for private and domestic use only, please see our Domestic Use Video Licence page.

Sharing, streaming and screening audio-visual media

Depending on how you are making your audio-visual media available, you may also require additional licensing from APRA AMCOS or OneMusic Australia.

Sharing and streaming online – you may need a licence from APRA AMCOS to cover the communication and reproduction of music from an online platform.

Displaying audio-visual material at an event or exhibition - you may need a licence from OneMusic Australia to cover the public performance of the music.