Log in to your account

Don't leave money on the table - how to claim what's yours

Tip Published Thursday 15 February 2018
Girl in a white shirt playing with notes of money
Contact our Writer Services team to ensure you are getting correctly paid for the use of your works

It is vital you register your works through the Writer Portal, before anything else

Upload your works to our other tools like OPUS for Jingles or the Music on Hold form

Always make sure you lodge your Performance Reports on time

New and longtime members alike, we've pulled together a quick refresher on claiming what's yours!

To make sure you get paid for your hard work, it is vital that you register your works via the writer portal. Then we know it exists.

From there, depending on where and how your music gets used, we ask that you provide key details of certain activity. Bookmark our guides page, it's a treasure trove of resources, forms, and links covering important areas of music usage and performance.

Is your music being used in an ad?

Upload it, report it, claim it.

  • Metro broadcast areas AU & NZ - you must upload your song. Whether it is a commercially-released song being used in an ad or music specifically made for an ad, it is considered a jingle.
  • Use OPUS (Online Portal For Uploading Songs) to upload the audio, this way we can identify and match it to what was broadcast. Read the OPUS guide for writers or OPUS guide for publishers
  • Upload all versions of the music being used in the ad. Do not include audio with voice over.
  • Upload to get paid quarterly:

Performance Period

Payment Date

Audio uploaded by

January - March


End of February

April - June


End of May

July - September


End of August

October - December


End of November

Are you playing gigs at the local pub, touring the US or anything in between?

Report it, claim it.

If so, you can submit performance reports and get paid for playing.

Is your track getting played at nightclubs?

Upload it and claim it.

  • Register your works
  • If you are playing your own works in a set - lodge your performance report online or via the app
  • IMPORTANT: Register for DJ Monitor, our Music Recognition Technology service (similar to a Shazam). This ensures your track can be accurately identified.
  • Get up to date on remixes

Does a big (or small) company want to use your work for music on hold?

Claim it.

Are you an ambient composer selling music to therapists or other wellness businesses?

Report it, claim it.

  • Annual deadline is 31 Aug

Is your work being used in some other kind of way?

Ask us. Claim it.

  • There are uses that get categorised as 'unlogged' - e.g. cinema promos, festival/art installation - that fall outside our usual distribution channels.
  • Log it and we will investigate if it can be claimed.